Re: [xmca] a minus times a plus

hi:

i am teaching some math tuition classes in Singapore, and i am
trying to apply the current academic discourse on mathematical
discourse i.e. moving away from essentialist beliefs about fixed
cognitive abilities to looking at _how_ students and teachers
communicate and make intersubjective meaning.  i model by
making all my cognitive as well as metacognitive processes obvious
by talking out loud, and using different colours to mark pertinent
points to note.  i also intentionally (and sometimes unintentionally)
make mistakes, so pupils could apply a critical mind and build their
identities as active mathematical thinkers instead of being passive
listeners.  i get students to explain their working to the class and to
each other.

seems to be working nicely.   ;-)

F.K.