RE: [xmca] zpd additional comment

Dear Eric

I think it would be harder to view a zone of proximal development as forming
a basis of some sorts stemming from the blocks experiment (as an example of
a method of double stimulation) than it would be in the intricate dialectic
between "scientific" and "spontaneous" concepts.  Although it is true that
the way in which participants in my study related to - or were able to
benefit from - the dual stimulation offered in the blocks experiment
(embodied in words and objects of the task), the blocks method appears
explicitly as an activity geared to show us what children's
meaning-making/thought processes would look like without historical,
socio-cultural guidance. Some of this - school-like discourse, geometric
shapes and colours, lettering, and so on notwithstanding - has to do with
generalisations and hierarchy.

What do generalisations and hierarchy have to do with a zpd, one may ask.
Please forgive me if it looks like I'm cutting and pasting quotations, but
the two examples I give here are very important observations about the
difference between how adults form concepts and how children do.

"Only under experimental conditions was the child, freed from the directing
influences of well-established verbal connections, able to develop word
meanings and to form complex [ie, complexive] generalizations according to
his own preferences.  This fact shows us the importance of experimental
study, which alone can reveal the spontaneous [not to be conflated with
"everyday" as in everyday concepts] activity of the child in mastering the
language of adults. Experimental study shows us what the child's language
and concept formation would look like if they were freed from the directing
influence of the linguistic milieu." (Kozulin's T&L, 1986, p.120)
Minick puts it this way:
"It is only in the experiment that we free the child from the directing
influence of the words of adult language with their developed and stable
meanings.  It is only here that we allow the child to develop word meanings
and create complexive generalizations in accordance with his own free
judgment.  The experiment is of tremendous significance in this sense.  It
allows us to discover how the child's own activity in manifested in learning
adult language.  The experiment indicates what the child's language would be
like and the nature of the generalizations that would direct his thinking if
its development were not directed by an adult language that effectively
predetermines the range of concrete objects to which a given word meaning
can be extended."
(Minick's T&S, 1987, p.143)

Words are supplied in the blocks experiment (they are written underneath the
blocks) but it is up to the participants to work out what the words mean in
the process of solving the problem of the blocks.  Also, the adults in the
experiment don't provide a context for word meanings (as they would in "In
summer the ice lollies melt because it is very hot") - so it's more like a
dictionary entry and then you don't understand the words used to explain to
explain the first one and you still have to work it out for yourself.  This
aspect is an intentional design in the blocks study, even though the method
didn't manage to shed light on the way in which generalisations and
hierarchically abstracted characteristics are built upon in forming "true"
or "real" concepts (LSV's self acknowledged awareness of the "limitations"
of the blocks).

Generalizations and hierarchies of abstracted characteristics are both
necessary in the formation of "scientific" concepts, and this form of
thinking can most easily seen in schooling environments most days of the
week.  In this case, explanations of words like "brother" and "hibernation"
would probably show a more clearly tangible picture of the thinking involved
in how these concepts were formed.  And this is quite apart from how they
would appear if the same children were asked to use the same words in
stories involving "because" and "although".

Regards
Paula