Re: [xmca] zpd additional comment

Discussions on xmca about units of analysis always get me thinking. Michael's response is a good reminder that a scientific unit of analysis for a given situation is derived not just from the **objects** under investigation, but also from the methodological perspective of the **investigator**. Always very good to keep this in mind.

A thought this conversation brings up for me stems from a point Holbrook Mahn made in a recent paper at ISCAR, **Vygotsky’s Analysis of the Unit “System of Meaning”**. He suggests that the term "unit of analysis" is not actually a correct translation of Vygotsky's discussion of this concept. Better might be "analysis into units."

"The phrase “unit of analysis” is often used in cultural-historical, sociocultural research, usually with an assumption that it is based on Vygotsky's methodological approach. In several places in the 1987 English translation of Thinking and Speech, the phrase “unit of analysis” is used in describing Vygotsky's analytical approach, even though this phrase does not appear in the Russian text. For example, the phrase “unit of analysis” occurs in Chapter 1 of Thinking and Speech on page 47. This phrase does not occur in the source text; the words that Vygotsky uses are: “eto otnosheniye soderzhitsya v izbrannoj nami yedinitse" (Vygotskij, 1934/2001, p. 13). Translated word for word, this phrase is: “this relationship is contained in the unit selected by us” – the word which has been transformed into “of analysis” can only be the adjective
“izbrannoj” which indicates that the unit is “selected.” "

Mahn goes on to discuss Vygotsky's method.

"Vygotsky’s use of “analysis into units” to examine the origin and development of entities that result from the unification of distinct processes such as those of thinking and speaking that yield “the unified psychological formation of verbal thinking” (Thinking and Speech, [Plenum], 1987, p. 44) is often overlooked by researchers who use the concept “unit of analysis.” "

My take on Mahn's discussion is to view Vygotsky's approach as seeking more than just analytical "units" per se. Or, put another way, these "units" are much more complex and dynamic than meets the eye. This approach seeks to understand "units" as dialectical **unities** of opposing processes. In this view, the water molecule is not just an indivisible unit comprised of the elements oxygen and hydrogen. It is also a complex chemical process that is a **dialectical unity**, a transformation (sublation) of these elements, which are processes themselves, into a new kind of entity, a new kind of process. "Analysis into units" might be even more precisely expresses as "analysis into dialectical unities," which forces the question "what is a dialectical unity?", and especially, what is the dialectical unity **in this case**?

I believe that CHAT researchers and practitioners, as a rule, in practice, and many also explicitly, follow this dialectical approach. But the heritage of the Western ideological traditions behind mainstream social theory has a way of providing a manner of speaking that tends to reduce processes, especially opposing processes, to just "things" or "units," such as oxygen and hydrogen "atoms" and water "molecules". But this is just a bare starting point. What can get lost in such a manner of speaking is how Vygotskians try to search for the **opposing processes** that are being transformed (sublated) into new entities, new kinds of processes. Lacking dialectical terminology, methodological descriptions typical of Western bourgeois science can leave out things like motion and transformation, pointing to only static objects. This is why taking a careful look, as Mahn does, of what is meant by the term "unit of analysis" is helpful.

So when Eric asks:

" ... [take the example of an] 18 year old functional illiterate who becomes serious about wanting to read. Providing numerous hours of tutoring ends in the student still at the picture stage of instruction. Is there a unit of analysis for this specific example?" ...

... I interpret this as asking about the contradictory processes that are involved in the relevant dialectical "unities" in this situation. For example, what are the opposing processes at work that are driving (or could drive - or for that matter, hinder) this student in moving from one developmental zone to another? What transformation will take place when these opposing processes combine into something new?

Some of these same (very abstract) kinds of questions may also be relevant for Mike's situation with his 4th grade friend who is struggling with multiplying minus numbers. I certainly have no particular insights into these situations, which others on this list have far more experience in than I do.

But I will venture one general idea. There may be some useful universal teaching principles involved, applicable to students of this or that age or situation, but there also may be some very individual questions of personal sense and meaningful experience (perezhivanie, another difficult to translate term Mahn discusses) involved, too, that must be taken carefully into account along with the content of the culturally established material. I am referring of course to Vygotsky's very enlightening distinction between personal sense and social meaning.

And therein lies the rub. Here, the teacher may have to be the one to do some developing and let the student teach them. This of course is part of the art of teaching, to figure out, by understanding the student (and the material), how to reach them **concretely**. At the same time, the personal sense of the student cannot really be conveyed in socially meaningful words because that is part of the nature of personal sense. So the teacher (as a teacher) can only reach out to it and interact with it by seeking to transform it. The consequence is a highly contradictory process for both the teacher and the student. An easy thing to cheer both of them on to work out! And sometimes, so terribly difficult and seemingly impossible a thing to do in practice ...

- Steve