Re: [xmca] On the shape of the zpd

Carol:

What were the plot marks measuring on the curve?

eric

Carol Macdonald <carolmacdon@gmail.com>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
06/04/2009 02:35 AM
Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"

        To:     mcole@weber.ucsd.edu, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"
<xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [xmca] On the shape of the zpd

Carol says:

Two of my students did research in two totally different aspects of CHAT
and
the one got a straight line for growth on the LSV blocks, and a student
who
worked in the classroom, there wasn;t any caruve, in fact the results we
very stable and although we didn't do any analysis, it seems that as the
ZPD
kicks in then the more able float to the top and so on.  The weakest girls
also made gains, but in the same order as straightforward learning
results.
I don't know why this is so, and wold like to hear what other people have
say. What intrigues me is the shape of the results and the fact that the
girls seemed to have s stable, consistent shape of ZPD. Can anybody help
with this finding
Thanks

2009/6/4 Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com>

> AR means Aero Rigoletto, Emily?
> The idea of a ZPD curve is pretty typical of the ordinary level of
> discourse, even if no emotion were involved!!
> mike
>
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Duvall, Emily <emily@uidaho.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > I have a master's student researching AR and working through a lit
> > review. One of the discussions relative to a scatter plot that showed
> > "relatively flat ZPD curve..."
> > Has anyone else run across "zpd curves" before or used this
terminology?
> > We're having a lot of difficulty swallowing the use of zpd in AR, but
> > this threw us.
> > ~em
> >

> > Emily Duvall, PhD
> > Assistant Professor Curriculum & Instruction
> > University of Idaho, Coeur d'Alene
> > 1000 W. Hubbard Suite 242 | Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
> > T 208 292 2512 | F 208 667 5275 emily@uidaho.edu | www.cda.uidaho.edu
> >
> > He only earns his freedom and his life, who takes them every day by
> > storm.
> > -- Johann Wolfgang Goethe

Visiting Researcher,
Wits School of Education