Re: [xmca] a minus times a plus

We have two different processes here don't we?

(1) Sensuously/practically understanding the ideas of multiplication and sign so that practical intelligence can be mobilised to know and remember what to do with various combinations of mathematical symbols, and know *when* to use this or that mathematical operation or rule.

(2) Knowing the rules for manipulating mathematical symbols easily and being able to reliably use them in the abstract.

I think the independent development of each process separately is unavoidable. At many points along the road to becoming practically proficient with the use of maths to solve practical problems *the two processes intersect*.

I see no problem with learning the rule when a child first comes across the minus times minus operation. How can you deal with this one practically without just learning it first?

Andy

Mike Cole wrote:
I am still working on this issue, Eugene. I think about it almost daily
because even when I am not with kids who are worrying about "right answers"
in math terms, i am worrying about my own slippery understandings, having
been very thoroughly socialized into very dumb ways of thinking about math
and "getting by."

I think your suggestions border on Anna's ideas about commognition. The
difficulty is that when we
move to everyday experiences of this kind and away from, for example,
Davydov's approach, we
become prey to wrong conclusions (your example of the the enemy of your
enemy being your friend,
a very dangerous idea in my experience).

Thanks for your suggestions. There seems to be a research (dare I say it)
experiment growing in this
discussion. If one cared to do so, it would be interesting to compare the
VVD approach to razpredmechivanie.

In a related bemusement: opredmechivanie=reification. So, razpredmechivanie
is kind of like
"dispersed objectification" (?).  (Razbros) (Chin  chintsi raznochintsi)
(?). The interlinguistic "thawing" of our concepts never ceases to amaze me
with its potential for opening up the possibilities of
razpredmechivanie.

raz dva tri, too.
:-)
mike