Re: [xmca] Bahktin question

Thank you Jay, that definitely clarifies.

eric

Jay Lemke <jaylemke@umich.edu>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
05/06/2009 10:25 AM
Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"

        To:     "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [xmca] Bahktin question

Bakhtin's original use of chronotope was somewhat like the modern use
of "genre", but in a more specific sense. He observed that
historically there were many narrative literary genres that could be
considered precursors of the novel, and that each could be defined by
the ways in which the story line moved characters through time and
space.

Today I think the meaning retains the original sense that trajectories
through time and space are important, and that repeating/repeated
patterns in such trajectories give us a way of talking about activity
(including discourse) that pays attention to the fact that life is
lived across places and timescales.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor