Re: [xmca] intonation and meaning

Andy,
From your description, I think you are describing that little sing-song question inflection that ends sentences? Those of us who've taught public speaking don't find this to be anything particularly new. It's a typical, if annoying, "new speaker" trait. With training, speakers do learn to end their sentences with a more culturally acceptable downward intonation, which marks assertiveness and credibility in Western public address.

I don't think it's particularly prevalent among subcultures, although women do tend to hold on to the pattern longer than men. (We won't get into the reasons for that ...too lengthy and too obvious.)

My own explanation is that it's a sort of baby-talk for grownups. As children learn to speak, they also learn to project deference to those who outrank them. As they "find their voice," as the writing folks like to say, they learn to give the signals of adulthood. In the oral comm world, we tend to speak about "overcoming stagefright" rather than "finding voice," but I think it comes from the same basic dynamic. As storytellers learn to tell stories, you'll find the questioning intonation disappears, replaced by more appropriately eloquent stylistic devices.

Dale Cyphert, PhD
Associate Professor and Interim Head
Department of Management
University of Northern Iowa
1227 W. 27th Street
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-1025
319-273-6150
dale.cyphert@uni.edu

Andy Jocuns wrote:
There is an interesting case of intonation going on in American English
right now. Phrase final intonation that was initially, and still is, used
with tag questions is showing up all over the place. Some have associated
this use with folks from California, however, I hear it here in Seattle in
particular among undergrads and it sticks out more when they are telling
narratives. Perhaps this is sub cultural language play, yet if that were the
only story one would expect to find it only among participants of the sub
culture, right? I guess you could say its a *way of speaking*, but at the
same time it also alludes to the arbitrary nature of sociolinguistic signs.
There is also something inherently metacommunicative about intonation that
is used in languages that don't code for it in a larger grammatical
(lexical/semcantic) sense.

andy