Re: [xmca] What good for kids seems dangerous for adults

Hello Eugene:

Thought I would jump in her.  Jaan Valsiner wrote once that in the name of
safety show proof that an accident has been prevented.

>From personal experience I have a daughter who used to poor through horse
books and take meticulous notes.  Because of this anxiety middle school
teachers have of "preparing" students for the college experience I now
have a daughter who hates to study and doesn't want to have anything to do
with college.  She now aspires to be a hairstylist.  It is very
disheartening what American public schools have become  : (

eric

"Eugene Matusov" <ematusov@UDel.Edu>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
05/03/2009 11:08 AM
Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"

        To:     "'eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity'" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>,
<mcole@weber.ucsd.edu>
        cc:     backontrack@wwscholars.org, "'Zoi Philippakos'" <philippakos@gmail.com>,
"'PIG'" <UD-PIG@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject:        [xmca] What good for kids seems dangerous for adults

Dear Mike-

Many years ago, you made a very good point in one of our private phone
conversations that unfortunately, I did not write down after you. You said
something like, "Often what is meaningful for kids seems to be dangerous
for
adults." Is my memory correct? Can you elaborate on that? Have ever
written
on that?

By now, I have so many observations and examples of this sad point. I wish
somebody studied this phenomenon on a systematic basis. I saw so many
cases
when adults literally suck the life out of kids because of their concerns
about kids' safety and well-being.

What do you think?

Eugene

---------------------