Re: [xmca] a minus times a plus

Teacher was using imprecise language (e.g. line 1), so
the concepts of × and + are conflated.  P (maybe even T) has
low knowledge base of the deep interconnections.  [see Ma Liping's
book "Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics: Teachers'
Understanding of Fundamental Mathematics in China and the United
States" ]  Deceptively simple-looking, × has many meanings beyond
repeated addition (e.g. geometrical area, grouping by rows,
grouping by columns, counting in rectangular arrays, ... etc) that
are equivalent and interconnected.  P needs time to explore the rich
interconnections in the different shades of meaning for
'multiplication'.  Maybe T does not understand P's state of
understanding or "prior knowledge" enough.  and maybe T does not
know how to help P bridge from what P knows to what P is "supposed"
to be learning (Pedagogical Content Knowledge).

in practice, there is little curriculum classroom time available/spent
for deep meaning making.  worse still if there are classroom
management issues.  worse still if P comes from a family or
culture or country in which people expect to understand/get things
instantly (e.g. instant food, instant gratification).  if P was badly
taught by a previous teacher, there is a lot for P to unlearn.  also
P might be used to certain teaching styles which are different compared
to the current teacher.  P may have picked up certain epistemological
dispositions e.g. expecting T to hand out "understanding" on the
platter that he can simply "download".

in Singapore, the "solution" to this problem is to engage private
home tutors or send kids to extra classes in tuition schools.
the children "drill and practice" till they get good-enough grades,
but often not really understanding why maths clicks together.
and many of them still hate maths despite being good at it, or
because they are forced by their parents to work so damn hard for
a subject that "does not" allow them to express their natural
creativity.

F.K.