Re: [xmca] a minus times a plus

Michael

What isn't clear to me in all this is where you are, in a manner of speaking, coming from and going to. I certainly see matrix algebra as, in a sense, an extension of the integers. What I don't see yet - although it seems possible - is how you are going to go from some primitive, yet to be defined, model (I'm using this in the technical sense) of matrix algebra to the integers. You, without some care, are going to lose commutativity.

On the other hand, as you seem to be thinking of your transformation as a kind of mapping, I happen to agree that functions provide a somewhat 'deeper' way to look at all this (and I happen to use such when I teach grad courses that waver in this direction). Unfortunately, being 'deeper' tends to cloak some, I think, interesting aspects of integers, or, perhaps one might say, the number line. So there is a trade off. I seem to remember an article by Halliday on unpacking where, in a sense, he touches on this tradeoff.

That you could do something like this and 'personally' come to a degree of verification is what is both powerful and perhaps seductive about mathematics.

Ed