From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 10:29 PM
Cc: eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] a minus times a plus

Emily, I quite candidly introduced my earlier message as
"the world's worst maths teacher". I developed this identity
partly by being given the task of teaching "New Maths" to
almost-innumerate kids in Brixton in the 1970s.

I was an Engineering PhD who could solve integral equations
but couldn't sing, and had no teacher training.

I was asked to teach for example, the algebra of
transformations of a figure in 3 dimensions (eg rotating by
90deg 4 times = null). This was not my choice. That was the
syllabus! But because of my own background, I couldn't
understand what they found so difficult. :)

Later I had a seminal chat with the English teacher who told
of how he only learnt to understand the workings of the
differential (those things on the back axle of motor cars
which allow the 2 wheels to go at different speeds), by
having someone tell him in words, and going over and over
those words. The diagrams meant nothing to him. My first
glimmer of thinking about thinking.

What sort thinking designed that maths syllabus?

Andy