Re: [xmca] a minus times a plus

Personally, Jim and Linda, I would find ideas like negative as reflection or negative as contradiction, easy to understand if *you are already familiar* with -x-=+ but I would have thought that the leap from visual or rhetorical relationships to numbers is asking too much of children who have not yet learnt to count backwards from zero.

Why is a number line easier to understand than the symmetries of topological or rhetorical transformations? I don't know, but intuitively I think it is. But different people think differently. Maybe the Linda's rhetorical explanation is easier for a verbal thinker than a spatial thinker? (is this mumbo-jumbo?)

Andy

Jim Levin wrote:
Perhaps it would be helpful to think about multiplying by -1 as reflection. So, if you separate out the -1 part of the multiplication, you get:
-a * -b = -1 * a * -1 * b = -1 * -1 * a * b
(an even number of reflections)

-a * b = -1 * a * b
(an odd number of reflections)

a * b = a * b
(no reflections)

Each -1 multiplier "reflects" the result across the 0 point of the number line (imagine putting a mirror at the 0 point - it then looks like the number is on the other side of the zero point). So if you have an odd number of these reflections, you end up on the other side; if you have an even number, you end up on the same side. Perhaps you'll want to draw a number line for your granddaughter, Mike, and find a small mirror?