From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu]
On Behalf Of Mike Cole
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 3:48 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [xmca] a minus times a plus

Since we have some mathematically literate folks on xmca, could someone
please post an explanation of why

multiplying a negative number by a positive numbers yields a negative
number? What I would really love is an explanation
that is representable in a manner understandable to old college
professors
and young high school students alike.