Re: [xmca] a minus times a plus

Mike, according to our wonderful correspondents, the number
line is the favourite "visual/practical image". I believe them.

People have rightly suggested the use of this to present
mutliplication tables in the form of a number line, which,
to start with, stop at 0. Then you ask: "what if we extend
this ...?" This looks great to me.

My only point is that the teacher would use this
practical/visual approach to get kids filling in the blanks
correctly ... *and then* abstract the general rule "minus
times minus = plus". You have to learn this as a rule at
some point. Question is when and on what basis is it to be
justified and understood?

There is no way you can introduce that rule prior to
practical/intuitive manipulations. If some appropriate
intuitive image is used to present the base regularity, the
kids will be blissfully unaware that stepping across the
boundary into a new domain of numbers, which you have
presciently placed as a continuation of the starting doamin
is an unwarranted, arbitrary and unjustifable logical leap.
And why not! But until kids have left behind them the
intuitive justifications, they have not learnt mathematics,
which is after all the object of the exercise, isn't it? Or
is it?

The great thing about Ed's first contribution, I think, is
that he showed how foundations-of-mathematics thinking can
mirror the operation used for teaching: i.e., extension of a
domain. And this is a foundation on which people can reflect
and learn about mathematics, as well as carry out the
required opeations when asked.

My only point is that kids need to first practice the
operations in the narrow and then the wider domain, and then
abstract the rule, and then much later learn the logical
meaning of domain-extension. At bottom, the answer to "why
is - x - = + ?" is "because we say so". It is no more
provable than "1 + 1 = 2" and intuitive demonstrations which
purport to prove it are actually fooling people. But maybe
it is necessary to fool people first and explain why later,
if they're interested.

To return to the example that we were discussing the other
day: e to the i pi = -1. This is justified in university
maths classes using the domain extension rationale. It is
difficult to see any other way of approaching it. And that
presupposes familiarity with 4 domains of numbers. But it
was fantastic at the time to already have the *Argand
diagram*. The Argand Diagram looks like Cartesian x-y
coordinates, and is understood as a representation of
"complex numbers" in which the domain of numbers has been
extended to include the square root of minus one, and
represented as a "2 dimensional number". With the Argand
Diagram a lot of the symmetries of this great equation
become visually very compelling.

Mike Cole wrote:
Andy-- Visual image PLEASE!!!
mike