RE: [xmca] a minus times a plus

Ok, we start with the number line again only we have a negative number in the right column

4 * -5 = -20
3 * -5 = -15
2 * -5 = -10
1 * -5 = -5
0 * -5 = 0

Once we get here we talk about how the number is getting larger by 5 at each step, so we continue the number line

-1 * -5 = 5
-2 * -5 = 10
-3 * -5 = 15
and so on.

A coworker showed this to me by having his students walk a number line.

He put a number line from  -10 to +10 on the board and had a student stand at 0 and face toward the +10 representing a positive orientation.

He has the student walk 3 steps back and shows 1 * -3 = -3

He then has the student return to zero, turn around and face -10 representing a negative orientation, and take 3 steps back representing -1 * -3 = 3

He then doubles the number of students (2 * -3 = -6) and then turn around and do it again (-2 * -3 = 6)

eric

Great!! Thanks Ed and Eric and please, anyone else with other ways of
explaining the underlying concepts.
Now, we appear to have x and y coordinates here. If I am using a number line
that ranges along both x and y axes from (say) -10 to +10 its pretty
easy of visualize the relations involved. And there are games that kids can
play that provide them with a lot of practice in getting a strong sense
of how positive and negative positions along these lines work.

What might there be of a similar nature that would help kids and old college
professors understand why -8*8=64 while -8*-8=64?

Might the problem of my grand daughter, doing geometry, saying, "Well, duh,
grandpa, its just a fact!) arise from the fact (is it a fact?) that
they learn multiplication "facts" before they learn about algebra  and
grokable explanations that involve even simple equations such as
y+a=0 are unintelligible have become so fossilized that the required
reorganization of understanding is blocked?

mike