Re: [xmca] Where is thinking

Yes, this does sound like a wonderful course. I'd be interested to know about the entering predispositions, and mathematical experience, of the students who do well in it. The culture of mathematicians, especially the "pure" or more Poincare-ish ones (and it can get a lot purer than that of course these days), seems to me to be rather of an exceptional taste. And I always wonder just how much of it, and its products, are appropriate for general education. As opposed to a more workaday, applied maths approach to using the tricks of the trade outside the professional discipline of mathematics.

This concern perhaps relates to another posting that worried about whether the abstraction-is-divine culture of modern mathematics does for most students ever get concrete enough to be meaningful, much less useful. Of course in one sense everything people do, even mathematicians and philosophers, is concrete, as practice, for them. But when we first come to enter into, or seek to borrow from, such a culture, then its habits of formulating ideas and practices in terms which build castle upon castle into the stratosphere and exosphere of "abstraction" do seem to present a challenge to being grasped in concreto for those of us who do not live high in those castles. (For a very thoughtfully explicit version of what castle-building means and its educational implications, see Anna Sfard's new book: Thinking as Communicating.)

My own take, for what it's worth, on the simplicity of Relativity, is that long after he first got it sorted out, Einstein became able to explain its key ideas in simpler, more concrete, less mathematized, and more widely accessible forms of discourse (with the occasional diagram), and others helped out in this dissemination project (Eddington was notable, if not always successful, and there is a now little-known book by Lillian Lieber, liberally illustrated, that is a marvel). But in the beginning, the original insights were not at all as they were later portrayed and canonized. It had nothing much at all to do with space and time, and only a bit with motion. That was a later interpretation provided by Minkowski and adopted by Einstein. So far as I can determine, the original idea was that something had to be wrong with the fact that Newton's laws and Maxwell's equations were not both invariant under the same set of mathematical transformations (transformations which represented relative motion at constant velocity with no turning). The ones that worked for Newton (Galilean transformations) did not work for Maxwell. The ones that worked for Maxwell had just been discovered (Lorentz transformations). So Einstein appears to have asked himself, what would Newton's equations look like if they were invariant under the Lorentz transformations?

This was of course nonsense because everyone assumed that Newton and Galileo had to be right and there was just something weird about electromagnetism. If you change Newton so his equations are Lorentz invariant, they look ugly and clearly wrong. But what if, nonetheless, they are correct and Newton wrong? The problem was to make sense of how these ugly neo-Newtonian equations could possibly be right. Why? How could they be derived from something more basic and intuitive? And this line of reasoning ultimately led to all the discussion about space, time, measurement, and simultaneity. In some ways the end result, the view we now have and teach about relativity, is simple and argues from "first principles", like how to tell whether two clocks are synchronized or not if there is some fastest possible speed of signaling between clocks in different places. But this simplicity comes far down the line from trying to figure out how to reconcile Newton and Maxwell, in a mess of complexity that builds on practically all the basic physics of the previous 250 years and a lot of its mathematics.

The "beauty" in relativity comes from Minkowski's clever mathematical trick of representing motion in 3 dimensional space as an imaginary rotation in 4 dimensional space-time. Once you do that, a mathematician can immediately tell you how to construct anything you want so that it is Lorentz-invariant: you make a 4-dimensional vector or tensor. Now the ugliness disappears and everything looks simple and neat, and as a bonus you need many fewer equations, indeed fewer concepts though we don't exploit that, not to mention the possibility of making really big bombs. But is it simpler? or is the complexity just hidden away in all the procedures for unpacking the tensor equations and getting a calculation of just how big that explosion is going to be? Beauty yes, apparent formal simplicity yes, but overall conceptual simplicity, no. IMHO.

A generation or two later, it's no longer just a nice way to conceal complexity behind apparent simplicity. It offers a new way of thinking about things, though so far as I know it is never taught that way. I happened to rather accidentally and precociously learn the tensor version before I'd even even heard of F=ma. I still find the concept of "force" totally ugly and confusing, and when people and textbooks say that mass increases with velocity, I think they're just nuts (or wrong). The effort to keep the old concepts while fitting them to the new mathematics leads to anything but simplicity or beauty. But people claim that the old ways are still more "intuitive" and easier to connect to concrete experience. I've always thought that human beings are capable of finding anything concrete and intuitive if they grow up learning to think that way.

Simplicity, like beauty, is indeed in the eye of the beholder.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor
Educational Studies