Re: [xmca] Where is thinking

Let 1,000 flowers bloom. And may every flower cross pollinate with every other flower! No problem. But that does not mean that there is no problem with the Hegel that Marx and Lenin read being cast into the skip parked out the back of the library, or with the meaning of terms being jumbled up into meaninglessness. ("Being determines consciousness" said Marx, but if Being is personal identity formation, does Being still determine consciousness? For example)

It is my very mission to facilitate interaction between divergent currents of thinking, most specifically Hegelianism, Marxism and CHAT, and I am more than happy to appropriate French philosophy along with the way.

But this wave of master-servant (NB "servant" not "slave" which was an insertion of Kojeve's) mythology is actually destroying, burying and eradicating Hegel's legacy. Kojeve and Sartre were brilliant writers whose contribution I value. I even see Sartre as a precurser of my own work. But why dump Hegel? Isn't it worth considering that one passage in his early work which in its whole structure and tenor though not content, is very untypical of Hegel, if taken out of context, could lead to misunderstanding? even if that misunderstanding is itself an interesting insight?

Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
Andy,

I don't see the mixing of Hegelian and existentialist concepts as
problematic. Existentialism started with Kierkegaard, right? He was writing
a kind of anti-Hegelianism, in which rather than there being a logic that
guarantees the movement of spirit, there are moments in which a leap is
necessary. He wrote of a "leap of faith" but (just as with Hegel) a secular
reading is possible. These are the moments when humans must choose, without
guarantees, without certainty, without transparent rationality.

So existentialism has always had ties to Hegel. The existential-Marxists, it
seems to me, were rediscovering in Marx what Michael just mentioned, a place
for agency on the level of the individual. That has been a valuable
counterpoint to those readings that find in Marx, like Hegel, only an
anonymous movement to the historical process in which no genuine choices are
available.

Martin