RE: [xmca] Where is thinking?

Another related quote, from another thinker, another space and time:

"Hence, when social psychology deals
      with the subject, it substitutes ideology for psychology. It is evident
      that the fundamental premise of conventional social psychology and of the
      upcoming collective reflexology, according to which the psychology of the
      individual is not fit to explain social psychology, will be shaken by the
      new methodological assumptions.
      Bekhterev claims that “... obviously, the psychology of individuals
      is not suitable for explaining social movements. ...” The same view is
      held by other social psychologists (like McDougall, Le Bon, Freud, et
      al.), who regard the social psyche as secondary, originating from the
      psyche of the individual. They assume that there is a special individual
      psyche and that from the interaction of individual psyches or psychologies
      there arises a collective psyche or psychology common to all individuals
      Thus, social psychology is regarded as the psychology of a collective
      individual, in the same way that a crowd is made up of single individuals,
      even though it has a supra-individual psychology. We see that non-Marxist
      social psychology has a primitive empirical approach to the social entity,
      regarding it as a crowd, a collective entity, a relation between
      individuals or persons. Society is taken to be an association of people,
      and it is regarded as an accessory activity of one individual. These
      psychologists do not admit that somewhere, in a remote and intimate corner
      of his thought, his feelings, etc., the psyche of an individual is social
      and socially conditioned. It is easy to show that the subject of social
      psychology is precisely the psyche of the single individual. (...) The exact opposite is more likely to be
      true, namely that only the individual (i.e., the empirical and
      experimental) psychology can become Marxist. Indeed, how can we
      distinguish social psychology from individual psychology if we deny the
      existence of a popular soul, a popular spirit, and so forth? Social
      psychology studies precisely the psyche of the single individual, and what
      he has in his mind. There is no other psyche to study. The rest is either
      metaphysics or ideology"

Lev Vygotsky, Psychology of Art. 1925.