RE: [xmca] The national context for education funding in the US

I realize that service-learning has gotten a bad rap, which doesn't mean
that it can't be carried out with intellectual rigor. My sense from being in
a Fellows group on my campus is that serious s-l education is designed both
to serve the community and to challenge students intellectually, and ideally
to promote conceptual change regarding issues such as poverty, immigration,
etc. If it's a research site (like 5D and ultimately, I hope, like my
course), it could also provide a Hawthorne effect that could enhance the
experience.

I'm fairly comfortable with the term service-learning. The hyphen,
incidentally, is less a grammatical touch than a sign of the connection
between the two terms and constructs. And so while service comes first, and
while courses no doubt don't eradicate poverty etc., s-l courses can help
feed hungry people (my colleague's course does this) and help kids graduate
(my course does this), and so they help chip away at larger problems. In my
case, I developed the course because most students who enter our teacher ed
program come from the honors/AP track of their high school and never met the
kinds of kids they mentor/tutor in the alternative school; and yet their
careers will undoubtedly begin with assignments to teach middle and low
track students. So it was set up as a learning experience for my students in
which, in conjunction with book club readings and discussions in class, they
learn about populations with whom they have had little contact and develop a
personal relationship with one kid from such a background, then put the
experience and the readings/discussions in dialogue in order to write a case
study. The book clubs are also designed to model a pedagogy that lies
outside the repertoires of most of my students, who have been lectured to
for most of their education, and suggest to them that alternatives are
available.

I was supposed to present something on this site at AERA but have no travel
money left, and so have had to cancel my trip. This is the first year I've
offered the course and so the syllabus will get revised in light of some
realities that have come into play this semester (e.g., what to do when a
mentoring relationship is undermined by the student's unannounced absences).
But I think it's going well.....only the course evaluations know for sure. p

Peter Smagorinsky
Professor of English Education and Program Chair
The University of Georgia
125 Aderhold Hall
Athens, GA 30602
smago@uga.edu/phone:706-542-4507