RE: [xmca] The national context for education funding in the US

Interesting course, Peter! I have become a huge fan of service learning;
it's such a natural fit for education. I am slowly adapting my courses
to include service-learning components. I'm working to develop our
elementary teacher education program in northern Idaho as a
service-learning program that also operates in schools. It is a blend of
lab school, professional development school, and service-learning.
Courses are taught on site in elementary schools which provide us with a
classroom. In turn, we go into classrooms to provide various
teaching-learning services to students and teachers with the goal being
collaboration and win-win for elementary students and university
pre-service teachers. We've also done some after school programs. So far
it has been all the language and literacy courses... but come this fall
we will incorporate elementary science, math and social studies methods
into our Partner School Initiative. What I find most fascinating is the
innovation that occurs when we all work together - the activity shifts
expertise around in interesting ways.
~em

Emily Duvall, PhD
Assistant Professor Curriculum & Instruction
University of Idaho, Coeur d'Alene
1000 W. Hubbard Suite 242 | Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
T 208 292 2512 | F 208 667 5275 emily@uidaho.edu | www.cda.uidaho.edu

He only earns his freedom and his life, who takes them every day by
storm.
-- Johann Wolfgang Goethe