Re: [xmca] Ethnomethodology

Ed,

I think you're right to see a connection between ethnomethodology and
continental philosophy. The standard story about Garfinkel is that there
were two main influences on his work. The first was Talcott Parsons,
director of his doctoral thesis, who considered people to act on the basis
of unconscious motivations that were the result of needs internalized
through socialization. This is what Garfinkel later referred to as the
'judgmental dope' model of action. The other influence was Alfred Schutz, a
phenomenological sociologist who emphasized the continually active character
of human consciousness of the social world. Schutz proposed that each
individual is continually interpreting and typifying the events and actions
they see around them. Social science, he insisted, should build its concepts
on these first-level common-sense, everyday constructions. Very different
from Parsons' view, but the activity that Schutz focused on was very much
individual and cognitive. Starting there it was difficult for him to explain
how people can interact together to produce a shared, intersubjective,
reality. (His students Peter Berger and Thomas Luckmann tried to fill this
gap in their famous book 'The Social Construction of Reality.') What
Garfinkel has done is locate the activity of interpretation and recognition
in action itself, as something practical and social.

Schutz was a student (and research assistant) of Edmund Husserl, and so
Garfinkel would have been likely to explore other writing on phenomenology.
I've heard he was found in his office with a copy of Being and Time, and one
can also see allusions to Merleau-Ponty in his writing.

I will try to find the text you recommend. Thanks

Martin

On 3/10/09 8:45 PM, "Ed Wall" <ewall@umich.edu> wrote:

> [...]

> Discovered Pulsar
>
> Ed
>
> On Mar 10, 2009, at 1:19 PM, Martin Packer wrote:
>
>> Ed,
>>
>> When you say coding in CA, are you refering to the identification of
>> an
>> utterance as, for example, the first part of a two-part pair? I
>> don't view
>> this as coding, but rather as a step in an ongoing articulation of the
>> organization of the conversation, in which component parts will be
>> identified in sequential and material context, always subject to
>> revision as
>> more of the conversation is considered. I think of coding, as for
>> instance
>> in grounded theory, as a practice of abstraction and generalization
>> in which
>> the codes replace the original data with abstract categories which
>> are then
>> compared to produce more abstract features and kinds. In this kind of
>> approach the researcher writes notes or memos not about the data but
>> about
>> the categories. The data becomes merely an 'illustration' of the
>> categories,
>> and the end result is a 'theory' that takes the form of stated
>> regularities
>> among categories. The data, in all its richness and complexity, is
>> left far
>> behind. CA is a very different approach.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing to the Livingston book. I too find
>> Ethnomethodology's
>> Program very useful, both the book and the 1996 article with the
>> same name.
>> Anne Rawls (she is the daughter of John Rawls) is writing some very
>> interesting pieces of EM, linking it to a fresh interpretation of
>> Durkheim's
>> sociological project and his objections to Kant. Some references:
>>
>> Garfinkel, H. (1996). Ethnomethodology's program. Social Psychology
>> Quarterly, 59(1), 5-21.
>> Rawls, A. W. (1996). Durkheim's epistemology: The neglected
>> argument. The
>> American Journal of Sociology, 102(2), 430-482.
>> Rawls, A. W. (1998). Durkheim's challenge to philosophy: Human reason
>> explained as a product of enacted social practice. The American
>> Journal of
>> Sociology, 104(3), 887-901.
>> Rawls, A. W. (2006). Respecifying the study of social order:
>> Garfinkel's
>> transition from theoretical conceptualization to practices in
>> detail. In H.
>> Garfinkel & A. W. Rawls (Eds.), Seeing sociologically: The routine
>> grounds
>> of social action (pp. 1-98): Paradigm Publishers.
>>
>> Martin
>>

>> On 3/8/09 8:29 PM, "Ed Wall" <ewall@umich.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Martin
>>>
>>>        There is a somewhat hard to find book by Eric Livingston:
>>> Making Sense Of Ethnomethodology you might want to add to your
>>> list (if you already haven't) and for my purposes, teaching a class