[xmca] cultural historical activity

--- On Sun, 3/8/09, Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu> wrote:
From: Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu>
Subject: Re: [xmca] Hedegaard article
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 3:00 PM

I don't know, David. I haven't had time yet to read the Hedegaard
article,
so I can't put the remarks in that context. I presume you're not
proposing
that one ought to categorize Danish culture as pathologically monological,
or nasty. I don't understand how that kind of appeal to "what we in
the
west... recognize" (which "we" is that, exactly?) can claim to
identify the
roots of a failure to think in "fuzzy" terms, not least, of course,
because
it's not exactly a fuzzy way of putting things.

Martin

On 3/8/09 12:20 AM, "David Kellogg" <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Dear Martin:
>
> I don't find Jay's comments at all offensive, and they are
simplistic only in
> the sense of being telegraphic (like the word "nasty").
Actually, I find Jay's
> work anything but simplistic; if anything it's a little too nuanced
for my
> purposes (coding data involves a LOT of categorial distinctions!)
>
> I interpreted Jay's comments in the context of Mariane Hedegaard's
article,
> particularly the ending, where Halime is describing her relationship to
the
> Danish language and to the Danish "good life". I'm assuming
that this article
> was written well after the Centre-Right Rasmussen government came to
power (in
> 2001) with, of course, the support of the Bush administration, which they
> promptly returned by embroiling Denmark in the Iraq War.
>
> What is not so well known is that the Rasmussen government is supported by
the
> Dansk Folkeparti of Pia Kjaersgaard, which is the equivalent of Jean Marie
Le
> Pen's Front Nationale in France or Jurg Haidar's neo-fascist
Austrian People's
> Party. This party, which has been shown to be infilitrated by terrorist
> neo-Nazi organizations like Combat 18, opposes all forms of immigration,
> consider white people to be oppressed by the Muslim minority in Denmark,
and
> after 9/11 Kjaersgaard said that the Americans were wrong to call this a
clash
> of civilizations because "There is only one civilization and that is
ours."

> Here are some quotations from their parliamentary delegation, just to give
you
> some sense of what Halime is talking about:
>

> Morten Messerschmidt, DPP member of Danish Parliament:
>
> "I believe that all Muslim communities are, by definition, loser
communities.
> The Muslims are not capable of critical thinking."[24]
>
> Pia Kjærsgaard's newsletter (February 25, 2002):
>
> "The Social Security Act is passé because it was tailored to a
Danish family
> tradition and work ethic and not to Muslims, for whom it is fair to be
> provided for by others while the wife gives birth to a lot of children.
The
> child benefit grant is being taken advantage of, as an immigrant achieves
> record income due to [having] just under a score of children. New
punishment
> limits must be introduced for group rapes because the problem only arrived
> with the vandalism of the many anti-social second-generation
immigrants." [25]

> It seems to me that in the USA in the sixties and again today there was a
> fairly common liberal sentiment to the effect that racism was above all
just a
> bad idea, and that since it was nothing more than a bad idea, it could be
> cured fairly easily by a dose of Sidney Poitier or Barack Obama.
>
> The corollary of this sentiment is that, of course, the oppressed must not
be
> allowed to cherish similar bad ideas, not merely because it might provoke
the
> oppressor to even more savage acts of oppression but above all because
racism
> is just a bad idea in general.
>
> Well, it doesn't take much to show that this liberal sentiment is
simply
> wrong. Sidney Poitier did not cure American racism, and neither will
Barack
> Obama. The reason is simple; racism is not "just a bad idea"
but, like any
> other pervasive and systematic ideology, a reflection of real material
> historical conditions.
>
> Specifically, racism reflects the historical conditions of American
slavery,
> European colonialism, and the not merely historical reserve army of the
> unemployed, which is growing by leaps and bounds as we speak. Perhaps
it's
> time to consider the idea that so-called "reverse racism", or
rather, the rage
> of the oppressed, is really NOT part of the problem, but in fact part of
the
> solution.
>
> David Kirshner's colleague, Kaustuv Roy, has written a wonderful book
(Thanks,
> David!) called Neighborhoods of the Plantation which begins with a quote
> from Walter Benjamin on immigration and borders as a means of keeping
> "culture" pure. Benjamin committed suicide when, fleeing the
Nazis, he was not