From: Barbara Rogoff [mailto:brogoff@ucsc.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:21 PM
To: Andrew Coppens
Subject: Re: [xmca] On Marxist and non-Marxist aspects of the
cultural-historical psychology of L.S. Vygotsky by Nikolai Veresov

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for forwarding this.  Here's a brief response, which I'd
appreciate your passing on to the listserv:

My stance is misrepresented by the author who wrote that I believe
that nothing is internal but rather appears in the collective.

In fact, I have been arguing in print for at least 20 years, in
several books and articles, that the inside/outside dichotomy is a
deadend -- my stance is that human development involves mutually
constituted relations between individuals and cultural communities.

Similarly, the nature/nurture dichotomy leads us astray; like
Vygotsky and Scribner, I see moment-to-moment learning, development
across individual lifespans, socio/cultural/historical change, and
phylogenetic change to be different grains of analysis of unified
dynamic phenomena.

Perhaps my clearest exposition of this stance is in Chapters 2 and 3
of my 2003 book, The Cultural Nature of Human Development (Oxford).
It also appears in my 1990 book and several articles around 1995.

The mutually constituting stance that I and others take seems to
require a paradigm shift for people to be able to see it, if they are
working within the inside/outside dichotomy.

My views are very similar to what Vera expressed when she said,
> Hi everybody concerned with "inside" and "outside",
> I am having difficulty in participants' discomfort with this
> distinction. Why can't we have a socially situated and initiated
> process
> be both
> external to the organism and also "internal"? That is, when a person
> participates in an activity and  engages with all that  she/he is,
> and has at his/her disposal, that participation is simultaneously
> internal and external.. Clearly our hands change as we engage in
> labor,
> why can't we accept our brains changing while participating in
> learning
> and relying on memory? The fact that the brain  is enclosed  makes is
> less accessible to observation than the hand. But the principle of the
> appropriated consequences of activity which changes  different
> parts of
> the participant  refers to a process of interwoven changes not to a
> frozen dichotomy.

With regards to what age period of development my approach applies to
-- I have focused on childhood, but the general framework seems to be
applicable to adolescence, infancy, and adulthood.  (I'm not sure why
the writer thinks otherwise.)
In any case, thanks for passing this along.
Regards,
Barbara