Re: [xmca] Vygotsky and Behaviourism

Hello Andy:

I see glimpses of the functional method of double stimulation as well as
the combined motor method outlined in the paper.  But certainly Vygotsky
appears to firmly believe consciousness is the result of reflexes.  Not a
divorce  by any means.  However, he is not happy with the objective nature
of the firm reflexologists.  He mentions the need for qualitative study of
human consciousness.  I like the tone with which this paper comes across.
It really shows that Vygotsky owes much to the minds before him but is more
then willing to take the infant psychology into new territory.

eric

                      Andy Blunden
                      <ablunden@mira.n         To:
                      et>                      cc:      xmca <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: [xmca] Vygotsky and Behaviourism
                      xmca-bounces@web
                      er.ucsd.edu

                      02/05/2009 01:29
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to Andy Blunden;
                      Please respond
                      to "eXtended
                      Mind, Culture,
                      Activity"

David, there are a lot of issues here, and I hope that
others who know more than me (or less!) will chime in and
help us get clarity. Can I narrow it down to one question:
Can Vygotsky's January 1924 speech be read as a critique of
behaviourism? And if not, how would people characterise it?

http://marx.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1925/reflexology.htm

What do others think?
Andy