Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

Yes, "Russians" includes Lenin.

There is good reason for this book to stir controversy. I was a member of a Trotskyist group in Britain for 11 years, and in the early 80s, around the time when the group published Ilyenkov's book, "Materialism and Empirio-Criticism" was being used as the central text for "Party education". Now I have to say that this "party education" was a horrific experience and one that I would never want to repeat, let alone expose anyone else to. It really involved bashing you (metaphorically) over the head with any concession to the idea of any difference-in-principle between thing and idea. And Lenin's tone throughout the book is overbearing and pedantic.

But the context in which it was *written* and the purposes it served, which Ilyenkov spends the majority of his book explaining, make all this quite understandable, even laudable. And Lenin is actually right. He actually does not overstep the line. (I can't necessarily say the same for the way it was used in the 1980s).

Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
Okay, Andy.  When you say "Russians" are you including Lenin in this
statement? That would mean that Hook was wrong in his reading.

Martin