Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

Andy, thanks for adding to the height of my reading pile!  :)

Until I complete the assignment (at least partly) I will merely juxtapose
here two quotations whose contrast gives me pause for thought. The first
from the first page of the book by Ilyenkov you've provided:

"And only materialist dialectics (dialectical materialism), only the organic
unity of dialectics with materialism arms the cognition of man with the
means and ability to construct an objectively-true image of the surrounding
world, the means and ability to reconstruct this world in accordance with
the objective tendencies and lawful nature of its own development."

The second from Carlos Marx himself:

"The formulation on [in? MP] thought of an exact picture of the world-system
in which we live is impossible for us, and will always remain impossible. If
at any time in the evolution of mankind such a final, conclusive system of
the interconnections within the world... were brought to completion, this
would mean that human knowledge had reached its limit, and, from the moment
when society had been brought into accord with that system, further
historical evolution would be cut short-which would be an absurd idea, pure
nonsense" (A Handbook of Marxism, 1935, p. 234)

Martin