Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

Pardon me, I meant heuristics of decision making.  My bad.

                      Andy Blunden
                      <ablunden@mira.n         To:      "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
                      et>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation
                      xmca-bounces@web
                      er.ucsd.edu

                      01/19/2009 05:44
                      PM
                      Please respond
                      to ablunden;
                      Please respond
                      to "eXtended
                      Mind, Culture,
                      Activity"

Martin, surely we two (of the many) meanings of "objectify"
here.

(1) In "objectifying action has its dangers, such as
treating it as the output of a decision-making system" you
are using the word in the meaning it took on I think in the
1970s as "treating a subject as an object" following the
idea of Kant that one ought to treat all people as ends not
means.

(2) In "action is fleeting it must be fixed in some manner,
and although objectifying action transforms it" you are
using the word in its Hegelian sense of making a thought
into a material thing for others, a meaning which carries no
  implication of being unethical.

But Derek uses the word in yet a third sense, i.e., of being
"objective" which inheres in the action of the recipient of
action not the actor, i.e., objectify means (3) to regard
the thing as something objective, independently of one's own
subjectivity.

Isn't this so?

Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
> [...]
> study a personal, private, inner mind to which by definition one can only
> have first-person access!
>
> Ricoeur, P. (1971). The model of the text: Meaningful action considered
as a
> text. Social Research, 38(3), 529-562.
>
> Martin
>
> On 1/17/09 6:09 PM, "Derek Melser" <derek.melser@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Martin, Steve:
>>
>> This is a big issue. I have written a bit about it. Chapter 11 ('Our
>> knowledge of actions') in *The Act of Thinking* is about it. And so are
the
>> last three paragraphs of the essay at
>> http://www.derekmelser.org/essays/essayverbal.html
>>
>> The primary interpersonal attitude is the side-by-side one, the attitude
of
>> fellow-participants in some shared activity. Our perception of others'
>> actions occurs under the aegis of this fellow-participant (or would-be
>> fellow-participant, empathic) attitude; it is the light in which we see
>> actions. Now and then we defect into an objective (distancing, reifying,
>> alienating) attitude towards others. Rigorously maintained, this
objective
>> attitude reduces a person to a biological phenomenon. But biological
>> phenomena don't perform *actions*, they merely exhibit derivative
biological
>> phenomena.
>>
>> Science is the rigorous maintenance of objective attitudes and
observation
>> methods. My paradigm examples of 'science' are the physical sciences:
>> chemistry, physics, biology... There are disciplined academic studies ­
of
>> history, law, fine arts, literature, education ­ in which the topic is
>> people's actions and in which objectivity and empathy alternate, in
roughly
>> equal measure. But these disciplined academic studies are not normally
>> thought of as sciences. The thing about sciences is that they stick
>> rigorously to objective methods. Why would you want to put psychology
>> alongside biology, rather than alongside, say, history or education? Of
>> course, you could call any disciplined academic investigation a
'science'.

>> Anyway, it is impossible to write briefly on such a large topic without
>> pontificating, so I'll stop here.
>>
>> Derek
>>
>> *http://www.derekmelser.org*
>>

>> 2009/1/16 Steve Gabosch <stevegabosch@me.com>
>>
>>> Derek, I have been wanting to ask you about your thoughts about how
aspects
>>> of human behavior that can only be comprehended through empathy are
>>> therefore inaccessible to science.  Assuming, for the sake of
discussion,
>>> that you are right, that empathy is a necessary component of accurate
>>> observation and understanding, why does employing empathy exclude doing
>>> science?  Marx said (something like) "nothing human is alien to me."
That