Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

Derek,

This is indeed such a huge topic that I hesitate to take it up. But equally
important; so here goes.

Techniques of objectifying are certainly part of any science, but surely not
the whole story. And I don't see that objectifying people reduces them to
biological phenomena, and their action to biological processes, any more
than objectifying biological entities reduces them to physical phenomena,
and their processes to physical ones. Certainly objectifying action has its
dangers, such as treating it as the output of a decision-making system, or
as a collection of factual events which can described without
interpretation. But Paul Ricoeur (below) has argued convincingly that since
action is fleeting it must be fixed in some manner, and although
objectifying action transforms it, these transformations can serve important
functions. The analysis of conversational action took steps forward when
recording technology became widely available (without treating conversation
as a biological phenomenon.

This is not to say that figuring out an appropriate science of action is
easy. But surely it's easier to study action scientifically than it is to
study a personal, private, inner mind to which by definition one can only
have first-person access!

Ricoeur, P. (1971). The model of the text: Meaningful action considered as a
text. Social Research, 38(3), 529-562.

Martin