Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

mike and all in this intriguing thread about reflection,

reading the exchanges to this point (5 days ago) reminded me of the the notion of reflection in the Chan-Zen buddhist traditions of north east asia and  Japan . . . (and I have no idea what this word is in Korean, Chinese or Japanese).  The following story is classic:

Story of Hui Neng, the Sixth Patriarch

One day, Hong Ren (Hung-jen), the fifth patriarch, called his disciples together
and instructed them: "Each of you write a verse and bring it to me. I will
read your verses, and if there is one who is awakened to the cardinal
meaning, I will give him the robe and the Dhama and make him the
Sixth Patriarch. Hurry, Hurry!"

The disciples returned to their cells, overwhelmed by the master's
request. They agreed to let the first among them, Shen Xiu (Shen-hsiu), take on
the task of composing a verse.
Though well-instructed in the sutras, Shen Xiu was still far
from enlightenment and the master's instructions threw him into a deep
anxiety. At length he produced his verses and at midnight wrote on
    the middle wall of the south hall:
    The body is the Bondhi tree,

    The mind is like a clear mirror.

    At all times we must strive to polish it.

    And must not let the dust collect.

Master Hong Ren was the first to see the verses the next morning.
Assembling of the monks, he burned incense before the inscription on the
wall. The disciples were filled with wonder and consider the question
of succession settled.
The master, however, called Shen Xiu aside. Having confirmed his
suspicion that Shen Xiu had written the verses, the master said to
him: "The verse you wrote shows that you still have not reached
true understanding. You have merely arrived at the front of the
gate but have yet to be able to enter it." As the verses make evident,
practice can help ordinary persons, but it cannot bring  them to
perfect enlightenment. "You must enter the gate and see your own
original nature..."

He left Shen Xiu to compose further verses. Days passes, but the first monk
of the community could not produce a sign of his enlightenment.

Hui Neng, a young monk, heard about the verse and immediately realized
that it did not express enlightenment. He formulated a new verse
and have it posted on the wall of the west hall:

    Originally there is no tree of enlightnment,

    Nor is there a stand with a clear mirror.

    From the beginning not one thing exists;

    Where, then, is a grain of dust to cling?

At midnight, Hong Ren summoned Hui Neng and conferred on him the Dharma
of Sudden Enlightenment and the patriarchal robe with the words:
"I make you the Sixth Patriarch."

>From "Zen Buddhism: A History vol.1" by Heinrich Dumoulin, 1994

Maybe the second poem's conclusion about the nature of reflection as presented in the first poem,  emphazing the emptiness of the mirror itself, ,can eliminate one of mike's concerns. Mental "reflection" has absolutely nothing at all to do with the analogical physical mirror metaphor,    that comparison  really confuses things, obscures the dialectical interpenetration of "I" and "me"  (the subject and object of experience, the active, the passive), original distinctions of experience, in themselves have no independent existence.  That's also true of left and right.

Paul