Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

> How could the following not be true, Martin: [...]
>
> That is, what would it mean if there was a new functional organization of
> behavior and no change in the way that is accomplished by that part of the
> inter.intra linked processes that are human life??

Finally I have said something obviously correct, in place of things probably
incorrect!  :)  (And I had a feeling as I wrote that I was ripping off
Luria, so thanks David for filling in that gap.)

But what I was trying to say, Mike, is that when speech disappears it is not
that it has turned into "mental speech." No, what has happened is that the
child has learned to control their body, their brain, to get tasks
accomplished without needing voluntary attention. Everyone seems to get
excited about 'internalization' because they interpret it as the creation of
'mental action,' which of course is *so* much more important than physical
action!

No! When the brain is able to take care of tasks that's great, in large part
because consciousness (and in that sense mind) can keep doing what it has
been doing, actively coping with the world. Mind, consciousness, is (as
leontiev insists) *in* the world. When I learn to ride a bicycle at first I
have to pay attention to what my feet are doing. With time my feet, with a
bit of help from my brain, are able to move the bike without my attention.
Does that mean I now have 'internal, mental control' of peddling? Of course
not.

Yes, all new functional organization of behavior must involve changed brain
functioning. But why do we place so much emphasis on the reorganization in
which 'internalization' occurs?

I'll take the liberty of quoting at some length those guys Hood, McDermott