Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

I forgot to say that the suggestion that we replace 'reflection' with
'representation' was just what I was afraid to hear. This would bring us
right back to Kant and cognitivism. As Derek well knows, right?

Martin

On 1/7/09 4:18 PM, "Derek Melser" <derek.melser@gmail.com> wrote:

> Martin, you ask whether there is a more active-connoting synonym of
> 'reflect'.
What about 'represent'? Rorty's book, Philosophy and the Mirror of
> Nature,
was about the representational theory of mind. The metaphor of
> innerness, of
people doing things inside their own heads, and the metaphor of
> thoughts
representing reality, are two different metaphors. But they go
> together very
well, as the longevity of traditional Western epistemology and
> the
funds-attracting power of modern cognitive science show.