Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

At the end of last year several of us were trying to figure out whether
'reflection' is a good term to translate the way Vygotsky and leontiev wrote
about 'mental' activity. Michael Roth pointed out that the German word that
Marx used was Widerspiegeln rather than Reflektion (see below). I don't
think anyone identified the Russian word that was used. I still haven't
found time to trace the word in Vygotsky's texts, English and Russian. But
an article by Charles Tolman suggests that the Russian term was
'otrazhenie.'  Online translators don't like this word: can any Russian
speakers suggest how it might be translated?

Reflection (German: Widerspiegelung; Russian: otrazhenie)

Tolman, C.W. (1988). The basic vocabulary of Activity Theory. Activity
Theory, 1, 14-20.

Martin