Re: [xmca] motive/project

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Dec 21 2008 - 01:52:34 PST

Andy,

you wrote:   " . . . Vygotsky actually was closer to the mark with retaining his focus
on interactions between just two individuals in order to unlock the
dynamics of societal phenomena. Marx had the same idea after all with
the idea of the commodity relation."

when you say "closer", I think i need clarification, closer to what?  Unlocking the dynamics of societal phenomena?   I'm not clear what that means?  Maybe it's clearer to others

I'm also not sure what this set of claims implies.  Why is developing a theory of "societal phenomena" on the basis of dyads closer to the mark?

For one thing, there are clearly social phenomena whose dynamic cannot be reduced to dyadic interaction between individuals .In kinship systems (as basic a social phenomena as there is) it is not possible to reduce  a generalized kinship systems, with exchanges between lineages of the form  (A->B->C->A) to rrestricted exchange, of the form (A<-->B).  Like squaring a circle..Yet the notion of incest in which the relationships between these "groups" is defined constitutes one of the most powerful "tool/artefact/3rd order model/ whatever" for the regulation of social behavior.  e.g., Malinowki's description of the young Trobiand male who climbed high up a palm tree and leaped to his death, unable to bear the shame of having been discovered sleeping with his "classifcatory" matrilateral cousin...

 Neither do I understand exactly why you think that Marx's commodity theory contained the idea that the interactions of "two individuals" unlock the "dynamics of societal phenomena."  I feel incompetent to comment on whether this "idea" suitably characterizes Vygotsky's theories.   But I can give my reasons for questioning its applicapbility to Marx's theory of commodities.

 The analysis of the commodity form in  Capital v.I Ch1 provides the theoretical cornerstone of Marx's  critique of political economy.   In Marx's critique theoretical categories (value, surplus value, relative surplus value, etc.) replace tbe categories of the everyday capitalist economic organization (e.g., wage, price, profit.).  The derivation of these theoretical categories  from the commodity form, even the identification of the commodity form as the "secret" of the capitalist system, constituted the end point of more than a decade of directed investigation .  The preparatory writings for Capital, e.g. Outline of a Critique , Contribution . . ., Grundrisse) do not use the commodity-form  to generate the economic categories  The commodity-form in these pre-Capital writings is not the "unit of analysis".  To the contrary,   Marx starts with the  the everyday categories of capitalist economic organization. Though he identified , the
 theoretical categories of value, surplus value, etc. in the early writings he had not yet  accounted for or deduced them from the commodity form.  The identification of the commodity-form as the "germ" for explaining the everyday categories comes as s the end result of more than a decade of research and analysis of the a phenomena presented in the everday categories that hid and fetishized the reality of the social nature of commodities themselves.

Marx's analysis of the commodity form  has nothing at all to do with individuals, either figuratively (human individuals) or logically ( (x=y ) =>  x and y are individuals). ..  Rather, there is simply a question of equivalence relations between of "products" of human productive activity.  How much iron equates to how much corn?  There is really no "individual" involved, The processes are social, the agents exchanging the corn and iron might well be companies, collectives.  Of course there are only two poles here, but that doesn't convert the variables at either end of the double arrow into "individuals" in any other than a purely formal sense.  One could easily (and Marx does) insert n-tuples in place of individual variables on either end of the exchange.

This is also true of societies whose economies  are not based on the production of commodities.     Marcel Mauss  repeatedly stressed that reciprocity relations
(pre-commodity economic relations) did not exist between individuals,
but between groups .

Well, those are my reasons for disagreeing with your claim about starting with individuals or dyads to explain "societal phenomena"  both inparticular, i.e., the nature of the commodity-form, and in general, i.e., including non-capitalist "societal phenomena".

Paul