Re: [xmca] motive/project

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Fri Dec 19 2008 - 10:46:33 PST

Martin,
I have struggled with the claim about the non-distinction between
micro and macro. If you just look at interactions, then the
orientation to the macro does not always come out, as D. E. Smith
points out and therefore suggests institutional analysis, which is a
combination of macro and ethno. If everyone uses the term 'standard
north american family' or 'single-parent family', then the very
societal processes that formulated these terms are out of view. By
using them, you immediately play into the hand of sociologists,
psychologists, and the relations of power that only benefit (getting
grants, suppressing) by labeling someone like her. Her describing
herself as a 'single-parent' reproduces the very structure and
relation of power that leads to being 'specially treated' on the part
of schools, administrations, teachers. The Leont'ev follower K.
Holzkamp also deals with this, suggesting that you need both (a)
identify the lifeworld and (b) the structures that are inaccessible
from within the lifeworld.

Michael