Re: [xmca] motive/project

From: Martin Packer <packer who-is-at duq.edu>
Date: Fri Dec 19 2008 - 10:02:32 PST

Eric,

Your use of the term 'hermenutic' is apt, because the notion of the
hermeneutic circle is that one needs to interpret each part of a text in
terms of the whole and vice versa.

I'm suggesting that there is no unit of analysis for activity in general,
but a unit for each particular form of life one wants to study. But I'm also
suggesting a general criterion for the selection of a unit of analysis: that
it contain/embody the central contradiction of a form of life. But of course
one cannot know what that contradiction is for certain until one has
completed the analysis. So the hermeneutic circle applies: one begins with a
hunch/hypothesis about the contradiction, selects what seems the appropriate
unit of analysis, analyzes the form of life, and on the basis of what one
finds one may need to select a different unit.

Where is your sentence quoted from?

Martin