Re: [xmca] Self-Introduction and comment on Sawchuk/Stetsenko

From: Steve Gabosch <stevegabosch who-is-at me.com>
Date: Wed Dec 17 2008 - 00:02:18 PST

Derek, thank you for your very thoughtful response, which I am
responding to belatedly. I read the rather unworthy review by
Professor Adams of your book that you posted on your site, and your
detailed and admirably patient response to it, which I thought was
very effective. I also took a peek at some of your other writings.

We have something in common - you were a furniture maker for 30 years,
I was a machinist for 28, you went back to school and got a PhD in a
subject you find very stimulating, philosophy of mind. I am looking
into possibilities of doing that, too.

I can see I was off by a mile thinking along the lines that
behaviorism was specifically influencing your work and your accounting
of what consciousness is. I actually see a lot of different
influences on your thinking, and appreciate the range of readings and
studies you bring to the table - and the many creative ideas you have
developed.

I personally come from what I call the classical Marxist tradition.
One of the things I deeply appreciate about xmca and the general CHAT
community is the wide range of perspectives and research experiences
it brings together. Xmca acts for me very much like a school - except
I don't have to sit on ancient hard stone benches or worry about
flunking out! :-))

I especially appreciate how you are centering your research and
theorizing around concepts related to action. Your theory of
concerted action in particular brings forward some interesting
empirical work that I think is quite relevant to CHAT. I hope you
stick around xmca, where action and activity get discussed just about
every which way.

I found the paragraph below about concerted action, copied from your
site, to be a very nice example of the kind of thought-provoking ideas
and research that I know I for one appreciate learning about.

from: Verbal Communication: from pedagogy to make-believe
(Pre-publication draft of paper forthcoming in the journal,Language
Sciences)
http://www.derekmelser.org/essays/essayverbal.html\

"Performing an action in concert with someone else is something that
normal human infants begin doing (or participating in) at about two
months. Infants are born with impressive imitative abilities, based on
the mirror neuron systems in pre-frontal cortex (Meltzoff and Moore
1983, Meltzoff 1996, Rizzolatti and Arbib 1998, Arbib 2002, Brεten
2007). However, neonatal imitation extends only to simple body
movements such as arm waving and facial expressions, and has a
slightly robotic appearance. It takes six to eight weeks, and
persistent loving encouragement by the caregiver, for the infant to
demonstrate awareness, in imitation sessions, that he and the
caregiver are performing the action in question ‘together’. That is,
it takes this amount of time for the infant to be able to reliably
join in the success display in addition to imitating the action (Stern
1985, pp.37, 100-102; Trevarthen 1979, p. 347). The mutual success
display is important. Before he can properly be said to be doing X
with the caregiver, the infant needs to know that he’s got it right.
The achievement of this more subtle and extensive togetherness
(including both the action and the success display) generates
tremendous pleasure and excitement in infants. Caregivers get
considerable pleasure from it too. Successful imitation is satisfying
to the infant from the beginning but mutually acknowledged successful
imitation is much more so. Human brains have evolved to be expectant
of, and to thrive on, the particular excitement that acting in concert
brings. It is the motivation for culture, and for learning, and
teaching. Researchers attest to the enthusiasm with which infants
embrace acting in concert once they master it. Caregiver and infant
soon develop their own culture of recreational concertings."

- Steve