Re: [xmca] Rote, Role, Rule

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Dec 16 2008 - 22:03:38 PST

David,

Very little was known about the Andean quipu in Vygotsky's time. This idea of a mnemonic device carried by runners to remember things can only be apocryphal and not based on any real ethnohistorical research. The runners (chaski) had as much to do with what they carried as did the pony express riders with what was in their saddle bags. Andean ethnohistorical research simply didn't exist during Vygotsky's time.
    The quipu interestingly enough, and the role of cloth/weavings in pre-conquest Andean society in general fits marvelously with the metaphor of culture as weaving ... We now know that quipus were used for all kinds of purposes: censuses, historical records of various kinds, as well as systems for modeling. So they were most likely not just a transition between stages 3 and 4 but examples of stage 4 itself. But these non-phonological, non-iconic systems were never considered "writing" (spectres of Derrida). With few exceptions (e.g., Polo de Ondegardo) the colonizing Spaniards treated all of the Andean cultural developments as irrelevant to what they considered important (gold and silver) or simply as works of the devil. !So they never bothered to try to understand them or conserve them. A real goose story!! And unlike the meso-American codices and their glyphs, which were close enough to recognize as some kind of writing and conserved or were
 carved into stone and resisted the passage of centuries, Andean systems for preserving and transmitting information only existed on cloth or string, which doesn't really last.

    In the current reappropriation of Andean cosmovision, many communities which continued the use of quipu have become centers for their revival, plenty of websites to visit if of interest.

Paul