RE: [xmca] technology for "seeing thought"-- not a joke

From: David H Kirshner <dkirsh who-is-at lsu.edu>
Date: Mon Dec 15 2008 - 17:19:37 PST

Paul,
It's disturbing that dream images which we think of as subjective and
personal, can be translated into an objective visual code. From a
Freudian perspective, I wonder what this does to the mechanisms for
mental coping. It seems there are two ways to look at this. Freud saw
our dream images as symbolically encoding meanings--so accessing the
images doesn't necessarily bring us into contact with our underlying
meaning. On the other hand, there must be substantial emotion connected
with the images themselves--otherwise, why would our subconscious censor
out even the memory of the images (i.e., when we forget our dreams)?
Guess, we'll find out soon.
David