Re: [xmca] motive/project

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Sat Dec 13 2008 - 22:00:58 PST

Let me illustrate.

When I started work at Melbourne Uni., I joined the
University of Melbourne General Staff Association (UMGSA); a
few years later we amalgamated into a registered Federal
Union, the State Public Services Federation (SPSF); a few
years after that, most of us joined the National Tertiary
Education Union (NTEU).

The UMGSA was an in-house association set up by the
University, when the upsurge of militancy in the early 70s
threatened to overtake them; the officials were mostly
middle level managers.

The SPSF was a federal union representing white collar
staff, not academics, throughout the public sector.

The NTEU represents everyone who worked in Universities, and
represents the entire industry to government.

One could say that all these responded to the same need for
representation. But *psychologically* the impact of each of
them was very different. They were very different projects.
They represented different ideals, different identities for
their members, different visions of the place of the general
staff in relation to their bosses and their work. Each was
the outcome a very complex, interweaving history.

Helena has lots of these stories in the US context.

Andy