Re: [xmca] more questions about Sawchuk and Stetsenko article: whose sociology???

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 12:43:04 PST

I want address three issues in Peter Sawchuk’s response to my post on the article
he wrote with Ana Stetsenko.

First,
Peter's response to my criticism of arbitrary selection of authors to include
rests on the claim that the inclusion of specific social theorists and selected
elements of their theories was guided by their relationship to “conduct”, by
their potential contribution to a “theory of conduct.”  which he and Anna
Stetsenko identify as the guiding thread of their proposed linkage between
sociology and CHAT.  In the response, Peter wrote:

“it is important to remember this was not a review of the field of
sociology but rather a look at those who devoted significant time to questions
explicitly recognizable as dealing with a theory of conduct specifically.”

“On
the matter of ignoring elements of the work of the authors we did engage with,
our decision was to focus on points within their discussions of conduct”

However, I find this justification problematic for two reasons:
(1) The authors define “conduct” as – “how people (not institutions,
norms, values, and so on) act, interact, reproduce and transform the
world.”  Prima facie this definition is ambiguous.  What exactly is
“the world”?  What is included?  What is meant by “reproduce”?
On the basis of such an ambiguous and overly-broad definition I don’t
understand how any selection criteria could by isolated.  (2)  I have
read most of authors included in the article (I don’t know Smith’s work) and
can’t remember that any of them used the word “conduct”  to elaborate
their theories.  Generally, at least since the time of Aristotle, a
“theory of conduct” is considered part of Ethics, philosophy not
sociology.”  A quick Google search will produce all the necessary
evidence.  Some examples:

Ethics is the theory of conduct, so far as conduct may be
judged as right and wrong.  Ethics, then, means little more than morals.
But the study of ethics may include that part of the theory of life which is
involved in the explanation of the causes and effects of moral acts and the
moral judgment. (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_New_Student%27s_Reference_Work/Ethics)

If by
"ethics" is meant a theory of conduct, then according to
perspectivist ethics, there can be no theory without certain fundamental
ethical assumptions. For example, ethical theories may differ in their
definitions of what counts as good, worth pursuing, or desirable. It follows
that something (another theory, event, or feeling) is "ethical" only from
the perspective of its ethical assumptions. In other words, a system of ethics
is no more ethical than the "first" assumptions" that underlie
it, which collectively may be seen as its ethical "perspective."

But this standard usage flatly contradicts the
authors stated intentions; ie, to theorize the  conduct of people “not
institutions, norms, values, and so on”.   Consequently I find Peter’s claim to have based the
selection criteria on “conduct” or a “theory of conduct” to be without
warrant., the selection of theorists and specific elements arbitrary and not
fully explained.

Second,  Peter summarily dismisses my criticism
of their discussion of Schutz with the following:

Discussion of
Schutz in the piece accurately reports his discussion of relations between social
action, internal-time and inter-subjectivity building on Weber’s sociology and
Husserl.

However that simply isn’t the case,  the report
is in fact misleading, not accurate.  My primary concern was the failure
to fully explore Schutz’s direct appropriation of Husserl’s theory of
time.  I pointed out that “past-Now”, etc., besides being
incomprehensible, were not accurate.  As Dan Ryan wrote:

“Schutz employs Husserl’s theory of inner time
consciousness to show how a future act can be apprehended in the future perfect
tense and hence be a part of the actor’s choosing projects of action.
Routinization is the process whereby such chosen, meaningful  courses of
action become typified and taken-for-granted as “I can do it again.” The world
of others is temporally structured. Schutz divides it first into those who are
temporally inaccessible (predecessors and successors) and those who temporally
accessible. Those with whom we share time are further divided into those who
are spatially not accessible (contemporaries) and those who are (consociates).
With the latter group there is the possibility of sociation in its ideal form,
the We-relation, in which, Schutz says, our inner times gear into one another
and we “grow older together.”  (Time and Social Theory, 2007)”

Does Peter really want to say that  future
perfect tense or past perfect tense in language constitute experiential
structures of temporality?  This is an important question because the idea
of “motive” in Schutz (as in Husserl)  is directly related to the temporal
horizons of “predecessors” and “successors” which, unlike the abstract “Now”,
cannot be thought as “empty”.   If people pursuing an integration of
sociology and CHAT look to Schutz’s theories,  the question of “motive” and its
relation to temporality must be correctly understood.l

Finally,  Peter writes:

Paul suggests that
the map figure we provide is also arbitrary, and I don’t think that is a
warranted criticism. The figure attempts to provide a spatial expression of
particular contributions to understanding conduct in relation to three key CHAT
concepts: activity, goals and operations.

I don’t deny that these three concepts are key
although I don’t think they are THE key concepts in CHAT.  But more
importantly,  Peter and Ana have equated activity with social
structure and the theorists of social action (structural level), action
with the “enactment” and the ethnomethodological tradition, and operations
with subjective meaning.  Yes, I do find this arbitrary and not really
helpful.  I suspect that anyone using this proposed (and never
adequately demonstrated) map of CHAT and social theory, might well find
themselves quite lost after having attempted to follow it .

Paul