Re: [xmca] Sumerian school pic

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 08:20:38 PST

mike,

don't your observations about formal schooling support my
claims about the necessity of social transformation as a prerequisite
for realizing the promise of the Vytogtsky/AT/CHAT tradition?  Will
changing classroom design accomplish that?

Of course it's
another question as to how that social change towards what Engestrom
called "humanistic" in LBE will come about.  Perhaps this first truly
global crisis of the capitalist system will lead toward the kind of
transformation Marx envisioned as happening within capitalist nations
where the effect of the economic crises was always mitigated through
those nations' imperialist relations to 3rd world countries.

This morning I  heard a news story on BBC about a new UNICEF report evaluating early child development
and welfare.  Using 10 indicators they evaluated "developed"
countries.  It turns out that the countries with the highest taxes (all
Scandinavian countries but also France) scored the highest -- .  The
conclusion I draw, thinking of the recent presidential campaign, is
"Yes, paying higher taxes is patriotic."  Mike Moore's moie "Sicko"
made this very clear as well.

I looked on the UNICEF website but couldn't find the referenced document so I can't say where Cuba or the US came out on these indicators,  but I will keep looking.

Paul