Re: [xmca] more questions about Sawchuk and Stetsenko article: whose sociology???

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Mon Dec 08 2008 - 21:57:57 PST

Mike and Paul,

It has long been my view that what CHAT needs, if it is to
develop its ideas and make more of an impact in the "outside
world", is to conduct the kind of critique that Anna and
Peter advocate. But ... I think that just one current or
major writer is enough for one person to tackle. What I
would like to see is young graduates to pick someone, e.g.,
Giddens, or Weber (old or new doesn't matter) and do a
really thorough critique of them, become an authority in the
given writer even, so that no-one can read Giddens or Weber
or whoever it is, while going past the CHAT critique of that
position.

But that critique has to be done in the context of settling
accounts with our own current, and I think "an Activity
System" defined by a "motive" is desperately inadequate
alongside as the unit of analysis for sociology. It will not
be taken seriously outside of CHAT.

For my part, I have tried to appropriate Hegel, and make a
critique of Habermas and his successor Axel Honneth.
Unfortunately, it seems that it is only within the CHAT
arena that I can get my voice heard. So far Critical
Theorists (which is what followers of Habermias and the
Frankfurt School call themselves) still cling to G H Mead,
Freued and Piaget and refuse to hear about Vygotsky, on the
whole. But there are 10s of 1000s of eager and intelligent
young people out there who do read Critical Theory and are
looking to develop a radical critique of capitalism. And
surely they can't all go on using Piaget and Freud forever?

A problem with Anna and Peter's piece, is that they have
tried to critique everyone, and as Paul's response
demonstrated you just can't do that. It would be good to see
some papers appear in MCA whose subject is Giddens, or
Bourdieu or Butler or someone, reviewed from a CHAT standpoint.

Andy