Re: [xmca] Re: the Strange Situation

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 16:28:20 PDT

"The very terms 'development' and 'learning' are normative":
yes these terms are 'normative' but in an objective sense of
the word 'normative' in that they refer to a process between
a universal (or genus, community) and an individual. This
may be quite 'objective'. There is no need for any
connotation of 'progress', or "getting better", etc.

"conceptual thinking can become adequate to the
thing-in-itself": I don't think you can really put it like
that. You are yourself reifying the "thing-in-itself" in
this expression. For Hegel "thing-in-itself" and "concept"
are both moments of the development of the idea. And
actually he would put the concept higher (more real) than
the thing-in-itself.

"the concept has to be out of the head, socially distributed
in practical activities": nicely put Martin.

We live in a world, however, when our practical activities
(watching TV, voting in ballots, choosing lifestyles from
identikits at the supermarket) when "pseudoconcept" is the
norm. So writers like many poststructuralists and all
logical positivists who take the pseudoconcept to be the
concept always have a strong element of truth in what they
say. Unfortunately, the postmodern world is largely a
pseudoworld of pseudo-people thinking and acting out
pseudoconcepts.

Andy