Re: [xmca] Re: déjatel¹ nost¹

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Wed Oct 01 2008 - 19:53:53 PDT

Great isn't it. These Repulican hold-outs have voted for the
bail-out now that they've got some tax-cuts to go with it!
That shows real understanding of where this is going! Holy
Moley!

-------------

One of the main problems with Hegel was that Hegel really
did not understand the role of nature and culture in the
formation of the *human body*. He thought human beings were
created all at once as per the Old Testament. And while his
ideas about natural science are really important - both he
and Goethe made a vital critique of positivist natural
science - his view was *too* constructivist. He was
exclusively concerned with *the intelligibility of human
practice.* He absolutely denied the Thingness of Nature.
With the rapid development of science and technique since
1831, that idea proved insufficient. I think Marx got it
right in his critique of Hegel though.

Yes, of course, the development of science is an "iterative"
process. And science may be in a constructive phase, rising
from abstract to concrete, but can hit a big snag, and be
thrown back into the continuing genesis of a new starting
point. From Being, there are two distinct phases: What Hegel
calls Essence, which involves the clash of rival approaches,
clash of form and content, appearance and thing, cause and
effect; and The Notion, which builds from the solid base of
a new notion or "unit of analysis." But that crucial turning
point, Essence->Notion, is not absolutely stable, no. But
you have to be aware of it, otherwise you have no compass at
all!

The point is that invariably we learn about a science only
after it has made that crucial new beginning, and we take it
for granted. It gets naturalised.

I have just finished reading a great book on AIDS and the
People With AIDS movement. Although a French virologist
claimed that it was a virus very early on, I think about
1981, even a decade later, some scientists were still
claiming it was LifeStyle, and I read a book by an eminent
epidemiologist only about 7 or 8 years ago who still claimed
it was lifestyle. At the start people didn't know "what it
was." Those who worked on the claim that it was the HIV
virus never managed to convince those who thought it was a
Lifestyle condition. Imagine if that wasn't known and you
worked on the lifestyle hypothesis.

Andy