RE: [xmca] déjatel¹ nost¹

From: <ERIC.RAMBERG who-is-at spps.org>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2008 - 08:36:44 PDT

unit (cell, germ) of analysis
simplest form of the whole
commodity
relational units
value
concepts
relational constructs
concept formation
developmental activities
mediational activities
spontaneous constructs
scientific constructs

what a list of ideas that have been discussed and amplified; deconstructed
and analyzed, to what end? As best I can ascertain it is for the purpose
of an agreed upon methodology for CHAT. But I was under the impression
that there is an agreed upon methodology that involves the analysis of
activities that are imbedded within cultural and historical frameworks.
Simple; yet complex. As a scientific tool I still hold out that the
funcitonal method of double stimulation is the beginning of a specific set
of circumstances that will help to focus a lens upon this analysis. Yes
the blocks are cool but isn't it time we move beyond the blocks and see how
this method can be utilized in real world situations? Luria called it the
combined motor method and utilized it in his romantic science. am i naive
to think the answer has been staring at us all along?

I also can't help but think that Latour's constructivism holds a piece of
this puzzle as well.

thoughts on a cold day in the bleak history of the RNC in St. Paul. . .
what a mess it has been

eric

                      "Michael
                      Glassman" To: <ablunden@mira.net>, "eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity"
                      <MGlassman@ehe.o <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
                      su.edu> cc:
                      Sent by: Subject: RE: [xmca] déjatel¹ nost¹
                      xmca-bounces@web
                      er.ucsd.edu

                      09/03/2008 10:34
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to "eXtended
                      Mind, Culture,
                      Activity"

I wonder if the word commodity, even though Marx obviously uses it, is too
narrow a term for the larger theory, especially when considering the
current discussion. I have always thought Engels On the Part Played by
Labor in the Transition from Ape to Man (Part of the Dialectics of Nature)
had a rather large influence on Activity Theory. This piece of work might
suggest that it is social relations in the production of some desired and
necessary material good necessary for development/survival, rather than
simple commodity relations. How this sort of fits in to the Activity
Action issue is that selling a bottle of Coke in order to get money to buy
food can be viewed as an Activity. Or finding a Coke bottle to return to
five cents in order to buy food can be seen as an Activity. But actually
buying a Coke is really only an action, or even an ideologically based
operation (we buy a Coke based on the commercial telling us that Coke is
the real thing).

Michael