Re: [xmca] déjatel’nost’

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Sun Aug 31 2008 - 07:25:39 PDT

Apologies. I sent two mails just to Michael instead of the
list by mistake!

I will think about this some more. "Activity" here means a
system of actions which have a common societally-determined
object, like the collective hunt in his famous example. But
it seems to me that the idea of "activity" (in this sense)
as a "unit of analysis" poses some problems.

Andy

Wolff-Michael Roth wrote:
> [...]
> entity that Robert explained to me is constituted as an entity by means
> of system-theoretic means.
>
> Is that right?
>
> Andy
>
> Wolff-Michael Roth wrote:
>> Hi Andy,
>> I think he does say something that is at least very close to naming it
>> unit analysis on p.50:
> Activity is a molar, not an additive unit of the life of the physical,
> material subject. In a narrower sense, that is, at the psychological
> level, it is a unit of
> life, mediated by psychic reflection, the real function of which is that
> it orients the subject in the objective world. In other words, activity is
> not a reaction and not a totality of reactions but a system that has
> structure, its own internal transitions and transformations, its own
> development.
>> Where I would accentuate as follows:
>> Activity is "a *unit of life*", "a system that has structure, *its
>> own* internal transitions and transformations, *its own *development."
>> Cheers,
>> Michael
>> On 31-Aug-08, at 6:27 AM, Andy Blunden wrote:
>> OK, thanks for that Michael. I understand Tätigkeit, so that settles
>> some questions, though not all.
>> I have another question about Activity to add to these.
>> Vygotsky, Davydov, Engstrom (to take just three) all talk about "unit
>> of analysis", "germ-cell" or single instance (as in Pavolv's study of
>> the reflex), but in the works of AN Leontyev that I have access to (on
>> marxists.org) he makes no reference to any of these terms. This seems
>> not accidental to me actually. Can anyone clarify this?
>> Did Leonteyv (a) think that "activity" passes as a "unit of
>> analaysis", (b) disagree with the idea that a science should begin
>> from a Unit of analysis, or (c) define subject-activity-object as the
>> "unit of analysis somewhere?
>> And I need citation, I'm afraid.
>> Andy
>> Wolff-Michael Roth wrote:
>>> Hi Andy,
>>> it's not just the Russian. In German there is the parallel
>>> distinction between "Tätigkeit" (deiatel'nost') and Aktivität
>>> (aktivnost'). In the former there is an orientation----toward
>>> object/motive, which is not in the latter, and the former is oriented
>>> toward and a result of society (Gesellschaft), whereas the latter is
>>> not (necessarily). When Leont'ev is translated into German, you find
>>> the words Tätigkeit and the adjective "gesellschaftlich" (societal)
>>> whereas in English there is activity and social----and that has made
>>> all the difference, to quote Robert Frost.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Michael
>>> On 31-Aug-08, at 4:18 AM, Andy Blunden wrote:
>>> I wonder if our Russian speakers could indulge me again with a point
>>> of clarification. déjatel'nost' (or деятельность) is the Russian word
>>> 1. I understand that in Russian the use of definite and indefeinite