Re: [xmca] Russian for "Lines of Development" and "Janet's Law"

From: David Kellogg <vaughndogblack who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 07:18:26 PDT

Thanks, Bella! I wonder...how different is the spelling of "genetic" in Russian (ÓÕÝÕâØçÕáÚÞ?) and the transliteration of the name "Janet" (Pierre Janet)? Could Valsiner and van der Veer have made a mistake, and translated "genetic law" as "Janet's law"?

Andy, the reason why "narrative" sticks in my throat is related to the reason why "function" sticks in yours. When LSV and Luria use "line of development" it's often to try to distinguish between two things that are functionally or phenotypically similar but "genetically" or "genotypically" different.

For example, a human throat and a megaphone are functionally similar, in that they both serve to project acoustic signals, and on an abstract level they even resemble each other, but they derive from two very different "lines of development". A purely functional analysis cannot, therefore, reveal the differences.

In the same way, I think that LSV and Luria use "natural" and "cultural" lines of development not to tell the story of the descent of the higher psychological functions but to draw a clear demarcation line between forms of memory that are part of our biological endowment ("eidetic", as LSV calls them, although we probably wouldn't refer to them that way today) and those that are cultural "simultations" (e.g. writing). The two things are functionally similar but genetically different, but then they fuse and transform each other.

I think that the use of "thinking" and "speech" can be similarly understood, and of course the same holds true of "rationality" and "emotionality": in each case we have two faculties which develop separate, join together, and each one reconstructs the other. In order to understand how this happens "genetically" (as Bella points out, when LSV uses this word it often means something like "historically", in the sense of "genesis" rather than in the sense of DNA) we need to keep in mind their separate histories.

I think that the use of "narrative" in the sense of "storyline" obscures this. Narratives are a peculiar genre, cognate with the rise of the individual bounded by skin, hair, nails, birth and death. Even romantic novels are about one consciousness or the other, and not about the fusion of two consciousnessess. They are products of individual consciousnesses, and as a result they can't tell the story of how consciousness itself arises. Nobody remembers the great dreamtime before they discovered language.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education