RE: [xmca] Molar, Molecular and Additive behaviour

From: Michael Glassman <MGlassman who-is-at ehe.osu.edu>
Date: Fri Aug 29 2008 - 07:11:14 PDT

Andy,

This is just my perspective, but I still believe Activity Theory goes back to roots in work done by Stanislavsky - in particular "On Being an Actor" and his book on character development. I think the argument that Stanislavsky makes is that you should never consider each scene individually, as encapsulated and whole, I guess you could say there should be no reification of a scene. You have to consider a scene, and the actions of a character, not only in terms of the entire play, but in terms of what has come before and what comes after - that activity is part of an ongoing process. Stanislavsky was working off the new form of playwrights such as Ibsen, Strindberg and especially Chekhov of course. To give an example, when Nora walks out on Torvald and her father at the end of "A Doll's House" the scene makes little sense in an of itself, and if you think of the scenes of the play as simply being additive you are shocked. But if you consider it as part of a moral activity, with a building motivation that leads to a choice of action it is extraordinarily complelling.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Michael