[xmca] From Chuck Bazerman

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 10:42:34 PDT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Charles Bazerman <bazerman@education.ucsb.edu>
Date: Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd: [xmca] question for help
To: mcole@weber.ucsd.edu

Mike
Please share my response with the list and forward any followups to me.

There are quite a number of people in writing that have been working with
CHAT and many of them work with different aspects of argumentation. The
general approach is to consider writing (typified and structured in genres)
as mediating activities within activity systems. Within those activity
systems argumentation may take on specific roles associated with specific
genres. Some activity systems mobilize explicit agonistic argumentation for
a communal result, as most obviously the courts which adjudicated contending
views and interests and somewhat less obviously various branches of science
where people argue for claims. Some from a more classical rhetoric position
would see argumentation at the core of most writing activities, but I prefer
to see influence (which includes coordination, sharing, and other
cooperative stances) as a more encompassing term.

David Russell has a couple of articles in 1997 (on in MCA in a special issue
devoted to writing and CHAT) that set out part of the theory and review
specific studies as of then.

Russell, David R. (1997a). Rethinking genre in school and society: An
activity theory analysis. Written Communication, 14, 504-54.
Russell, David R. (1997b). Writing and genre in higher education and
workplaces. Mind, Culture, and Activity, 4(4), 224-237.

But a lot has happened in the decade since as CHAT has emerged as a major
force in writing studies. Quite a number of the chapters in the recently
released Handbook of Research on Writing (LEA/T&F/Routledge, 2008) which I
edited take a CHAT or CHAT-like approach, especially in the second section
on Writing and Society.

Do you know more specifically what Fernanda Liberali wants to know or can
you give me her email so i can query her?

Chuck