Re: [xmca] The power of internalization is overwhelmingly pervasive

From: <TVMathDude who-is-at aol.com>
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 00:18:02 PDT

Elinami,

In thinking back to my high school days, I can recall several individuals
who could have been bully's. But they weren't. Somehow they were drawn into the
mainstream. Two big differences at my school: (1) none of the athletes
received varsity sweaters, all the male students wore jackets and ties, (2) there
was no football team. The fall sports were cross-country and intramural flag
football. No violent sports and no special status for athletes.

There are no violent sports at the community college where I taught. Florida
and FSU are the teams that dominate our area and consciousness. The only
bully's seem to be top level administrators, who wouldn't recognize leadership,
if it bit them in the ass.

I have more police, fire and military in my classes then athletes. Those
three groups are the most respectful you will ever encounter.

Just a thought: As a society do we elevate these athletes and celebrities to
special status, so that we can experience stardom, if just vicariously?

In the 70's and 80's there were prime time shows that demonstrated
thoughtfulness, the relieving of suffering, doctors who cared about their patients,
not their egos; adults, who saw themselves as role models for their children.
"Joan of Arcadia" and "Seventh Heaven" are long gone.

As a society is there no profit in decency and respect, so these virtues are
set aside?

All we can hope to do is treat our students with respect and encourage them
to respect each other...one class at a time and we can provide an opportunity
for them to examine and discuss the acts of the media, advertising and
politicians within the context of the course we are teaching. NO PREACHING ! Just
give them a opportunity question and think.

Roger

Read reviews on AOL Autos.